Daily risk assessment
Every morning while sitting in my tent having breakfast I go through these steps in my head. When I’m out guiding, I also write them down on paper for easier follow-ups.
- Daily fitness guide – Have you as a guide(s) slept well? Any pain or soreness?
- Daily fitness group – The individuals you’re guiding: How many are they, can we see muscle soreness, did anyone say something special yesterday, follow ups, damaged gear or other things that we have to fix or discuss?
- Weather – What can we see? What did the forecast tell us? Is it wet? Slippery stones, fog, wind?
- Today’s travel plan and alternative plan – Does any of the above affect today’s plan? Risk of injury?
- Where are we going, how far is it, when will we be there (estimate).
- The location of emergency phones, shelters, roads etc. along the route.
- Feedback between guides and to the group. Around and about, not personal.