Daily risk assessment
Every morning when sitting in my tent eating breakfast I go through these steps in my head. When I’m out guiding I also write them down on paper.
- Daily fitness – Have you as a guide(s) slept well? Any pain or soreness?
- Daily fitness – The persons we’re guiding.. How many are they, can we see muscle soreness, did anyone say something special yesterday, follow ups, damaged gear or other things that we have to fix or discuss?
- Weather. What can we see? What did the forecast tell us? Is it wet? Slippery stones, fog, wind?
- Todays travel plan + alternative plan. Does anything of the above affect todays plan? Risk of injury?
- Where are we going, how far is it, when are we there (estimate).
- In case there is … emergency phones, shelters, roads etc
- Feedback between guides and to the group. Around and about, not personal.